Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My own little Downton Abbey

While going through stacks of old photographs I found quite a few of my Granda from childhood right up to the end of his life.  He was born in 1916 and lived in Scotland at the same time Downton Abbey is set.  Since season 2 started last night I thought I would share some of his photos.


As a little boy with his mom (on the left) and her sister.


I am guessing this was taken in 1918, with his parents, my great-grandparents.


Again, 1918.  I can only assume there was a certain affluence as they had a camera.


Possibly 1918 again.  The sailor suit got a lot of use!


As a grown man with his grandparents, my great-great-grandparents.


My grandparents - It's hard to tell when this was taken...the clothes didn't change an awful lot through the years.  They would've worn the same clothes until they fell apart.  Very preppy indeed.


My Granda with his father.  Both were Cameron Highlanders.


Army buddies.  The one in the front must've been a good friend as he appears in quite a few photos.


With military buddies.  I suspect the one in the middle was very popular with the ladies.


Being sent home from WWII - their packs are dirty and they are holding discharge papers.


Here is our handsome soldier on the left...doesn't he look like....


...Doctor Clarkson


Two of my great-grandfathers were train engineers.


My great-grandfather.


I love this photo!  2 inch cuffs!


My Granda as a grown man.




My great-great-grandparents and great-grandparents.


Have a fabulous day!

16 comments:

eas said...

You are so lucky to have these great photos! Isn't it have family members with interesting history?

Anonymous said...

What great photos, we don't have any at all, I've never even seen a photograph of any of my grandparents.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I simply adore vintage photos and those of family are the best.
I chose 7 of my parents in their early days and had them framed and they sit on my built in buffet in the dining room, in stunning black and white of course!

It looks like you have a very interesting background. Love how old photos are staged too!

JMW said...

What great old photos! I have to admit, I didn't see the first season of "Downton Abbey," but caught some of it last night and can see why it's become such a hit. Will have to watch more next week!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Fabulous photos! You're so lucky to have such a great record!!

KK

Jo said...

Great photos of your family! How sweet that you have your own family history so well preserved.

Jo

Karena said...

Wonderful photos and I loved the show last night. The quality of Downton Abbey, well we just need more great programing like this!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Pink and Fabulous said...

These are fantastic! You're so lucky to have these! Xo

Beth Dunn said...

Amazing photos! Can't believe you still have them
xoxo
Sc

Andy said...

LOVE the photos. LOVE Downton Abbey. Pizza party at my house every Monday night to catch season #2. So exciting!

Teena in Toronto said...

Aren't old photos awesome?!

Leigh Powell Hines said...

Loved seeing the photos.

Madras and Pearls said...

What fabulous pictures SP! Thanks for sharing :)

Editor of The Dandy American said...

Simply Marrrrvelous!!!

Metropolitan Mum said...

Amazing photos. Unfortunately I have only very few of my grandparents and their ancestors.

Shelley said...

Completely incredible photos. I have some of my paternal grandma and I absolutely love her clothes. She lived such a different life to mine. We are very lucky to live now, but it's still great to look back and appreciate who and how they were.