Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bethenny? Really?

A couple of weeks ago Hermes Scarf Friend was over for lunch and I was telling her about a phone call from my mom during which I told my mom to take responsibility for a situation and correct it rather than blame someone else who has no idea what the expectations were.  HSF laughed and said I may be the only person she knows who will 'check' their own mother.

Suburban moms dont usually toss around words like 'check' so it made me chuckle on the inside while remembering Sheree's rather loud argument with her former event planner.  I was wondering how she even knew the word then HSF then asked me if I had seen that Real Housewives episode.....we obviously don't spend a lot of time talking about tv shows but after shouting 'Who gon' check me boo?' a couple of times the discussion moved on to the other Housewives.  HSF doesn't watch the shows and only knew the one line because Ellen played it over and over.  In fact, I dont have one single IRL friend who watches any of the Housewives.  Le sigh.

We got on to the topic of Bethenny Frankel - HSF said something about her body after giving birth earlier this year and how she thinks Bethenny is sending women the wrong message.  I said I find Bethenny very inspirational which stopped HSF in her tracks.  Bethenny?  Really?  Here is why Bethenny is my new girl crush/idol/inspiration/un-met mentor...


She attended the Natural Gourmet Culinary Institute in New York to become a chef. After she graduated, she formed BethennyBakes, a company that provided wheat-, egg-, and dairy-free baked goods, meals for private clients, and a custom-meal delivery service. The company ceased production upon the launch of Frankel's Skinnygirl brand in 2009.  (SP - She was creating allergy-free baked goods when this sort of thing was unheard of!  She herself says she built her company out of rubble!)


Bethenny was one of 16 candidates in The Apprentice: Martha Stewart. She made it to the series finale before losing to Dawna Stone.  (SP - How amazing is that?!  To even make it onto the show is a huge accomplishment!)


Bethenny is currently one of the seven women featured on Bravo's series The Real Housewives of New York City.  On June 10, 2010, Bravo TV aired a series spinoff, Bethenny Getting Married?. The show follows Frankel through the planning of her wedding and life with Jason Hoppy.  (SP - Imagine being so interesting!  If cameras followed me most days there would be a lot of footage of the dishwasher being loaded, laundry being folded....)


In March 2009, Frankel's first book, Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting, was published by Fireside.  (SP - My own book is in the works so I know what goes into it - to be picked up or approached by a publisher is huge!)


In December 2009, Her second book, The SkinnyGirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life was published, also by Fireside. (SP - Her first book was such a huge success the market warranted a second one!)

She released an exercise DVD, Body by Bethenny, in spring 2010.  (SP - I dont have the time, energy or motovation to put an exercise dvd on let alone make one!)


The Skinnygirl Rules, an audiobook read by Frankel, was described as a summary of the first two books.

She is currently working on two more books, A Place of Yes, and Naturally Fit Pregnancy, as well as a skincare line.  (SP - remember when she told KKB she comes from a place of yes?  At that moment my entire view of Bethenny changed!)

On June 10, 2010, her new series, Bethenny Getting Married?, had the highest ratings of any series debut in Bravo history with over 2 million viewers.  (SP - I havn't even watched my own wedding video!)

Bethenny posed nude for PETA in September 2009. The photo was featured on a billboard in Times Square as part of animal rights group PETA's anti-fur campaign.  (SP - No one wants to see me pose nude, not even for a cause!)

Just 3 weeks after giving birth Frankel posed in a size-4 swimsuit for Us Magazine.  (SP - I would love to be a size 4!!!)

Once again, thank you to Wiki for making me look like I know a lot more than I really do.


If I had this cheeky little bod I would wear a bikini too.  Everywhere.

In the middle of all of of this Bethenny has come out with her own drink and a new brand! 


I have invested some time into getting my own drink off the ground and let me tell you, it isn't easy!


I am picturing something like this in pink and green with my logo on the side!


Bethenny graced the cover of People last week - the first Housewife to do so. 

If you have seen her new show you will know just how hard Bethenny works.  She did not come from money or fame...she simply worked hard her whole life to get to this place.  In a time when so many people think everything should be handed to them Bethenny has earned every dollar she has made with her drive, ambition and hard work.

She is a great example of what we can accomplish when we set our minds to it!


Have a fabulous day!

29 comments:

KatiePerk said...

Wow! She is quite the hard worker! I don't watch the show but I have ready some of her book! Thanks for sharing!

highheeledlife said...

Fantastic POST!!!!

She really is an "average" woman - with great determination! Great inspiration to us everyday people.

I can just picture you in your pink and green car.... Go Girl!! HHL

Anonymous said...

I am a huge Bethenny fan, as well. I love that she found love when she stopped looking -- lesson for all those women's blogs I read who everyday lament about not having a boyfriend or being single. Fuhgettabout it and do your own thing!! That's what Bethenny did and now she is wildly happy! I also love that "Bethenny Getting Married?" is such an upbeat and fun show. I laugh out loud at every episode. Such a difference from the dark, sometimes nasty Real Housewives of New York City. Bethenny is a great inspiration. Loved your post!

JulesTX said...

Great post !

Bethenny was always my favorite on RHNY, her quick witted one liners are brilliant. Her new show is so funny, hubby even watches it with me.

Couldn't be happier for Bethenny and all is enjoying these days. She is one smart cookie.

meghan said...

i just tweeted this post to bethenny. i love her too!

LPC said...

Oh my gosh! Just READING this post about all her stuff makes me tired:). I think I have to go lie down...

Ms. Bake-it said...

Hmmm… so this is what I miss by not watching TV or keeping up to date on celebrities. You are always trying to enlighten me SP! ;) I have not heard of her but she appears to be an amazing and inspirational woman. You really have to admire someone who actually goes after their dreams no matter how tough the path may be.

Thanks for the informational post!

~ Tracy

Silver Strands said...

Glad I have your blog to read to keep me up to date. Good post, and wow! You "check" your mom!
oxox
Denalee

mFw said...

I think Bethenny is very interesting. I just started watching Bethenny getting married on itunes. So far I like it!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Love love her!!

Mini said...

As you well know I don't really follow any of the RH shows (just catch bits and pieces when hubby is watching) but Bethenny is definitely my fave HW. And I actually do watch her show with hubby!

Thanks for the inspirational post!

Seersucker Scrapper said...

Great post! I was shocked when I read about her childhood in people. Good for her! She deserves everything she has!

Lynda said...

So true! You did such an amazing job summerizing her accomplishments that I posted it on my blog with a link back to your blog!! I hope that is okay. If not, please let me know and I'll remove it. Bethenny is such a determined gal. Love it!

North of 25A said...

Nice post; I am a fan, besides she is very funny. I know I am probably losing brain cells by watching all the RH shows (except OC, which I cannot stand), but I really enjoy the fun.
Best,
Colleen

Anonymous said...

She has always been my favorite. I think she is so funny and so much more real than the others (who all had stuff handed to them).

I'maNolaGirl said...

I think she's fantastic! She's honest but accountable when she takes her "snarkiness" too far. She's a hard worker and deserves to revel in the comforts her success has brought her! Team Bethenny!

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

I love her! Bethenny Getting Married? is one of my favorite new shows - and how adorable is Jason Hoppy?

She's just all-around funny and straightforward and that is refreshing.

And that pink lace strapless dress she's wearing? I need that!

Jules said...

The only housewives I’ve watched are the ladies of the OC. I really should just hop on the bandwagon like everyone else. It looks like I need to YouTube the 'Who gon' check me boo?' line. Wow.

I only know of Bethenny from hearing about her book, drink recipe and the entertainment shows/mags. I truly had no idea she went to a culinary institute and that she was making gluten-free products before it became a trend. I also had no idea she was on Martha Stewart’s version of The Apprentice.

I have heard positive reviews about her book, Naturally Thin and also heard that she was getting her own show. I had no idea about the DVD, audiobook or other books. Good for her!

If I looked like her, I’d be sporting a bikini as well.

That is very cool that she is starting her own drink brand. I’d give it a try.

I have to say that after reading these fun facts, I have a different perspective on Bethenny. Very inspiring.

Kim Reese said...

What a great post. I too love Bethany, becasue of her hard work. She truly is a role model for all women, I believe!

Mommy Mayhem said...

I have to say that I have had my share of the Real Housewives of NYC and I always found myself annoyed or somehow bothered by Bethany but after reading about all of her accomplishments I have a new found respect for her. She really is a hard worker!

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

OK- now I want to go back and watch all the RHONJ from the start....I'm tired of everyone talking Bethany and me having no clue what they're talking about!

Unknown said...

Interesting info. I don't watch Housewives, but I enjoyed that article in People.

Princess Freckles said...

I LOVE her too! I have always found her to be really funny, but also the kind of woman I can look up to. Such a hard worker and doesn't caomplain all day about her hard upbringing.

To say she "sets a bad example" is really unfair. She is tiny, was extremely fit before she got pregnant, and had a very small baby. From what I understand much of your body post baby has to do with genetics. Clearly, she's got some great jeans. Women should take her example and get into great shape before they have a baby and then continue that healthy lifestyle during and after the pregnancy.

preppy little dress AKA "PLD" said...

not bad being a size 4 after giving birth! She is one determined woman!

Associate Girl said...

I agree about her being honest and accountable. And what she built from scratch is pretty impressive. I'm on team Bethenny.

Suzanne said...

Love Bethenny, I've enjoyed reading both of her books and use her recipes quite frequently!

Lisa said...

I completely agree! I LOVE her and am inspired by all of her success.

Sherrie said...

I love her! I find her voice annoying as all get out, but I do love her spunky personality. I am really enjoying her show.

living well said...

I love her too!!