Monday, May 2, 2011

The Morning After

I had a post scheduled for this morning but in light of the news last night I decided to save it for another day.  With Osama Bin Laden dead now I can only wonder what the fallout will be.  I need time to absorb this news and process what it will mean for the world.

Today I think about all the people who died on 9/11.  I think about all the people who have died since then all in the name of finding and killing Osama Bin Laden.  I know this is a victory for Americans but let's not forget the people from all over the world who have suffered at the hands of the Taliban.

Being Canadian, we are aware of all of our soldiers who have given their lives in Afghanistan since 9/11.  Canada's role in any military effort is peacekeeping but that doesn't mean our soldiers aren't in harm's way.  Canadians generally don't agree with our military being there but we do line the highways and pack the bridges to waves flags as their hearses go by.  We support our troops.

There are men and women worldwide who have given everything for this moment in history.  This isn't just a victory for America.  This is a victory for the whole world.


Have a peaceful day.

12 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

well said@ xoxox

Heather said...

Very well said!!!!

Silver Strands said...

It's a solemn victory.

The enchanted home said...

It is bittersweet no doubt. We have to be cautiously optimistic as his death could unleash some unrest amongst those who supported him which is always a scary thought. Our world is not a peaceful place, and we are not totally safe. Today is a day for us all to honor and reflect on the brave men and women overseas fighting for the freedoms that monsters like him tried so hard to take away from us.

James said...

While I agree if ever a man needed killing, it was him, we really need to hunker down for what is coing. A very thought provoking post, well done,

Adrienne Shubin said...

Thank you for reminding me of the sacrifices Canadians have made since 9/11. I think Americans often overlook the causalities of our allies.

JulesTX said...

Couldn't agree more ! This is a victory for EVERYONE.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I don't know why but I never thought they would catch him...maybe we will breathe a little easier now.

Unknown said...

Good morning from Tokyo!

I couldn't agree more. Sunday's news came as a relief to everyone, not just America. Praying for the safety of your troops as well!

Warmly,

Elizabeth

Cheryl said...

I felt the same as you. I somehow couldn't post what I had planned. This is important for the world, for so many reasons. We still have so much to learn.

Teena in Toronto said...

So glad he's gone ... hopefully there won't be any repercussions.

Princess Freckles said...

Very well said! When I heard the news, my mind went first to those who lost their lives on 9/11 and their families/friends. I cannot imagine that pain of knowing your loved one was murdered and that the murder (at least one of them) was still free. I hoped this would bring some closure on that level.

Next, I thought about, of all things, The Royal Wedding! I know there are many British, Canadian, and Australian troops fighting the war on terror. I wondered if the announcement was held off until after the wedding so that the British could celebrate something joyful. Either way, I'm glad that the announcement didn't overshadow that happy event.

Americans often forget how many other countries are also sacrificing. Maybe because I live so close to Canada, I feel a closer connection to what is going on in your country. I am very grateful to all the troops from around the globe who are sacrificing to bring an end to terrorism. Bin Laden hated all the Western World, and that is not the U.S. alone, it's us all, and his end is a victory for the world as well.