"Katie Holmes, actor and wife of Hollywood superstar Tom Cruise, was spotted at Whittamore’s Farm, in Markham this weekend.
Her arms were full, laden with a bag containing fresh fruit pies and, of course, her 4-year-old Suri.
Holmes, who is here making a TV mini-series on the Kennedys, took her daughter berry picking around 3:30 Sunday afternoon.
But the pair didn’t stay long, said Taylor Whittamore, who is the supervisor at Whittamore’s Farm, which claims to have the largest farmer’s market and pick-your-own farm in Ontario.
Holmes’ driver and security guard later told staff at Whittamore’s that Suri had become cranky while out in the field picking.
The mother and daughter, decked out casually, only picked $1.14 worth of strawberries before they headed back to their car.
Holmes was wearing a checked shirt, skinny jeans and brown biker-style boots. Suri was shoeless, wearing a pink dress.
Holmes, whose husband Cruise is promoting his movie Knight and Day, was apparently anxious to get back to the car because she didn’t want to be recognized and appeared to have forgotten to pay for the strawberries she and her daughter picked.
Staff from Whittamore’s had to chase after them for the money, Taylor said. But it was soon clear that they had intended to send the driver or security guard back to pay. And indeed, the driver came back in a black Escalade and paid.
Initially, some of the staff wasn’t sure it was Holmes and Suri when the mother and daughter first arrived.
They thought maybe it was her, but then didn’t think it could actually be her.
“It was very exciting,” said Taylor, who asked if she could take a picture of Holmes and Suri. The request, however, was denied. But a paparazzi photographer captured their picture as she left Whittamore’s Farm.
“We haven’t had anything like that happen ever,” Taylor said. “It was a blur.”
Later Holmes and Suri stopped at the Whittamore’s Farm market where they bought some more goodies. Holmes bought a couple of fresh fruit pies, including a strawberry pie, as well as a cup of strawberry ice cream.
Holmes spent some time wandering around the store, looking at the fresh produce, said Suzanne Whittamore, who runs the farmer’s market. “She came into the market and purchased strawberry ice cream for Suri. She browsed around the store and she picked up a couple of pies.”
Suzanne said she kept to herself while she was in the market. “She didn’t look at anybody directly. She had a bodyguard with her.”
Holmes was maybe in the store for about 10 minutes Suzanne said. And while the cashier who cashed her out didn’t recognize her, everyone else in the store did but left her alone.
Holmes and Suri left after that, missing the children’s play area and the animated singing chicken show that’s on offer."
Honestly this whole event just baffles me!
1. Only $1.14 of berries before leaving? Am I the only mom who would not rush their child out of a situation just because they were a little bit cranky?
2. Didn't want to be recognized? How about don't marry one of the most recognizable movie stars in the world. Do famous people realise once they are famous they will be recognized?
3. Staff chased them for the money? $1.14 to be exact. We have all done it...you would not believe the number of times I have left the grocery store without paying for the eggs I tucked into the top of the stroller to protect them - not once has a store employee chased me to my car for the money. You can barely find a Whittamore's employee to answer a question about potatoes let alone chase someone to their car to pay for 3 strawberries!
4. They were going to send a driver back with the money? It doesnt occur to them to carry cash when going into a store? Especially a farmer's market!
5. A fan asked to take a photo and was denied? They went to a very public place, of course people will want a photo!
Have a fabulous day!