Monday, May 3, 2010

A little bit of perspective - Part 2

I really wish getting some perspective didn't come at such a cost to my friends.

Last week I got the terrible news that a friend's house burned to the ground.  They lost everything.  In March I was at their house for lunch which I blogged about here.  No one was hurt, my friend was home at the time and she got out safely with their dog, her husband was at work and when he arrived home saw he didn't have a home anymore.

The husband works with the Suburban Prince so he has spoken with him but only my friend's bestie has spoken with her.  Fortunately her bestie grew up with the Suburban Prince so we have been keeping each other up to date with any information we get.

The fire marshal thinks the cause of the fire is a garden pot that came from Canadian Tire - aparantly they have a history of spontaneously combusting.  Their house had lots of wood so it didn't take long for the whole thing to go up in flames. 

The good news is...they fire marshal has determined it is not arson so the insurance company is going to cover everything.  They plan to rebuild so now they just need to find a place to live for the next year and a half until their house is built.

So the next time anyone thinks they are having a bad week...think about these people!


Have a fabulous day!

14 comments:

Bethany said...

So true. It really makes you consider what is really important, safety, health, family... I am so sorry for your friend, but so glad that they will be able to rebuild. xoxo

Confessions Of A Domestic Goddess said...

I"m so sorry for your friend!! Thank goodness their insurance will cover everything.

This really puts a lot of my gripes in perspective. Have a great Monday!!

xoxo!

a. said...

That is awful! When I'm having a particularly bad day I do try to remember that other people have it a lot worse.

Leslie @ A Blonde Ambition said...

Things like this really put everything into perspective. So sorry about your friend's home, but I'm so glad everyone is alright!

April said...

how horrible for your friend! :(

Thankfully everyone was okay and they will have everything replace. The sad part is there are things that money cannot replace you know. Such a tragedy. I just cannot imagine...

Tammy B said...

How awful. I am so glad that your friend was not hurt.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

How terrible. Those poor people. Thanks goodness everyone is ok!

The Preppy Princess said...

This is so true Miss Princess, it is amazing how quickly we can whipped back into a reality check. Thank you for the reminder.

Sending you a smile,
tp

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman said...

Thinking of your friends.

Janine said...

I am glad everyone is safe!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh my...that's awful. Good that all are safe, she's going to need support...hope that the community can do something to help.
A garden pot? What kind of pot would ignite? I hope Canadian Tire pulls those off the shelf!

KDot said...

Holy moses - a garden pot!

House fires are so scary. I'm glad to hear that everyone (and pet) are ok.

Lipstick said...

oh my goodness...that is so terrible. what a scary thing-so bizarre about the pot, so sad. I'm glad that they are ok, but I know that has to be so devastating.

Miss Janice said...

What a nightmare! You are so right...we should not complain about the small stuff!!! I will remember your friends in my prayers.