Sunday, August 23, 2009

Movie: The Wrestler

I know I am very late to the game but I watched The Wrestler last night. 90 minutes of my life I will never get back! Is it just me or this is movie awful? Painful to watch perhaps? Mickey Rourke won an acting award for this?!!?

At no point did I actually suspect any of his grunting and gasping could actually be mistaken for acting. I am shocked to say I was an adult when I saw 9 1/2 Weeks and Wild Orchid (when exactly did I get this old?) and I have come to the conclusion Mickey Rourke is very good at playing....Mickey Rourke.

If the star of this movie wasnt hard enough to watch, the plot could certainly be used as a cure for insomnia! Did anything actually happen in this movie that didnt involve The Ram sleeping, drinking or trying to look pitiful for Marisa Tomei?

The one shining star in The Wrestler was of course Marisa. She is so believable in every roll she takes on. And hello...want some motovation to get back in shape? This girl (woman?) certainly put me to shame in the physique department!

The ending? I wont spoil it for anyone else who might have to suffer through it in the future but I just want to say I cant stand when books or movies end this way. If I wanted to make up how it ends myself I wouldnt pay for someone to write the story for me!

So. Mickey Rourke. Congratulations on your award but please stop making awful, depressing movies!

No comments: